Course Credit Requiements MSM Distance (2).docxMultisensory Mathematics I
For Distance Learners
Fulfills one course requirement for Teaching Level Certification
Based on the Orton-Gillingham philosophy of teaching, Multisensory Mathematics I applies the research-based Concrete-Representation-Abstract (CRA) approach to teaching mathematics as advocated by the National Math Panel and the NCTM. Participants learn to apply this methodology in guiding students from foundation skills and numeracy to place value, operations, fractions and decimals. Participants learn to use manipulatives effectively to reinforce concepts, aid memory and enhance performance for all students. Strategies for helping students learn and retrieve math facts are stressed as well as structured procedures for computational accuracy. This approach is especially effective with students who learn differently, inclusion classes and ESL learners. The approach is effective for initial instruction as well as remedial work at all levels and is compatible with all curricula and programs.
Watch a sample lesson from Marilyn Zecher's Multisensory training
Participants receive Math Manual that includes teacher re-producible masters as well as a starter kit of math manipulatives.
Distance Learning Procedures:
- Participants have access to 30 hours (five full days of lectures) of recorded sessions between January 12 - March 20, 2015
- Participants may communicate daily with instructor through online community blog
- Participants meet with instructor in two online sessions dates TBD
- Participants complete required class assignments no later than March 20, 2015.
- Participants seeking certification as Math Specialists will be required to submit a digital video project as evidence of proficiency in the language applications of the course.
- A Pentium II or faster computer that can log on to the Internet
- An Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- Valid email address for the participant (all communication occurs via email)
- Up-to-date browser such as Internet Explorer,Firefox, or Safari
- PC users: most recent version of Flash installed for your browser of choice
- Mac users: plan to use the Safari browser or Flash installed for your browser of choice
- Audio speakers or headphones plugged into the computer
- Access to a printer
When: January 12 - March 20, 2015
There is no set time that you must be signed in except during the online sessions with the instructor.
Cost:$775 (includes Shipping and Handling costs for course manual and Manipulatives starter kit) Discount prices available for schools that register 6 or more teachers.
Materials: Participants receive Math Manual that includes teacher re-producible masters as well as a starter kit of math manipulatives.
Click here to register
Certificates for Continuing Education Credits are available upon request for no additional fee. Graduate Credit Now Available. Click here for information about CEUs and Grad Credits.